Kamala beach Phuket
Recommended Phuket beach
Although Kamala beach is only 10-15 minutes drive north of Patong beach it feels a world away in terms of atmosphere. Patong is a busy party place, Kamala is more relaxed with far fewer tourists. Kamala is quieter than Kata, Karon or Naiharn beach.
Kamala beach was a simple Muslim fishing village until quiet recently. The south end of the beach is still used by local longtail boat fishermen who bring in their catch for local seafood restaurants.
Kamala was hit badly by the Asian tsunami in December 2004. Since then it’s been rebuilt and tourism is now a bigger part of the local economy.
What we like about Kamala is that everything is centered around the beach. You can stay at a guesthouse next to the beach and eat at beach side restaurants. In the evening the restaurants are a good place for a drink, or try the popular reggae bar.
You can walk everywhere in Kamala, no need to hire a motorbike or take tuk-tuks. But if you want to venture further afield Kamala is not isolated. It’s a short tuk tuk ride to Patong beach for some nightlife or shopping. Phuket Town is within reach. We can arrange transfers for most excursions from Kamala. Kamala is about 30 minutes from the airport. Laem Singh beach and Surin beach are a little further north of Kamala. South are Kalim bay and Patong beach.
Kamala beach activities
- Kamala beach is a great swimming beach, in high season the sea is calm and slopes gradually.
- You can rent kayaks and SUP’s towards the north end of the beach.
- A few jet skis and banana boat rides are available.
- The Phuket Fantasea show is in Kamala. It’s an evening dinner and about one hour show. In the past it was an impressive extravaganza with loads of elephants on stage and trapeze artists overhead. Now it’s a parade of electronic floats that young kids may enjoy, but it’s a shadow of what it was.
- The Friday night market is good if you like local street.
Hotel recommendations for Kamala
- Highly recommended is the Kamala beach apartments if you can get a room, they are often full. They are superb for a family or small group.
- Maphrao resort next door is a smaller cheaper option with no pool but at least on the beachfront.
- The road around the southern headland has some pretty luxurious villas and resorts. The Hyatt Regency and Ayara Hilltops are notables.
- A budget option is the Siam Guesthouse on Rim Hat road. It has big clean rooms close to the beach and everything else.
Diving and snorkeling from Kamala beach
You can see a few fish snorkeling around the rocks at the north end of Kamala beach (when the sea is flat from Nov to April).
For Phuket day boat dives we can arrange pick up from hotels in Kamala beach, normally there is not extra charge for the transfer to Chalong pier.